Incubator Operations Manager (Hybrid)
A program of Global to Local, the Food Innovation Network (FIN) enhances the local food system, increases access to healthy foods, and supports local food businesses in the diverse communities of South King County. FIN’s Incubator provides businesses resources and assistance including access to Spice Bridge, a food hall with a shared use commercial kitchen. Our goal is to support entrepreneurs, primarily women, immigrants and people from communities of color, in launching financially stable businesses by providing: (1) affordable access to a commercial kitchen; (2) food industry technical assistance designed to improve their business operations, marketing and ability to scale and (3) access to new market opportunities.
Food businesses have traditionally been a way for immigrants and low-income families to gain a foothold in the economy, but many chefs face barriers to starting a business. Our program is centered on working with Incubator businesses to overcome these barriers to create a more equitable, inclusive food system so that they can gain financial security by doing what they love and be part of a local, thriving food economy.
About the Job
The Incubator Operations Manager is responsible for all aspects of operations at Spice Bridge, including facilities/equipment management, kitchen scheduling, food safety compliance, inventory management, and customer experience. This position trains and oversees Incubator program participants on safe and efficient use of the kitchen and equipment, provides expert guidance on food service and catering operations, and ensures that Incubator participants have a positive experience with the program. The Incubator Operations Manager also works closely with other FIN Team Members to track participant progress, identify and respond to opportunities for improvement, and ensure that the program is achieving its intended impact.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position. The preferred schedule for this position is Tuesday through Saturday, with flexibility in exact hours. This position can be either 100% on-site split between Spice Bridge in Tukwila and our office in SeaTac, or a blend of on-site and remote work from home.
What You'll Do
- Oversee the day-to-day operations at Spice Bridge to ensure Incubator participant and customer safety and satisfaction.
- Develop, manage, and implement standard operating procedures, training materials, safety and compliance protocols, and other operations related documentation for Spice Bridge.
- Communicate, train, and enforce kitchen, equipment, facility, safety, food safety, and program policies and procedures with Incubator participants.
- Manage facility budget and track revenue and expenses. Partner with finance staff to ensure that invoices and payments are recorded and processed.
- Manage kitchen rental and scheduling via Food Corridor. Train Incubator participants on scheduling time and reserving storage space.
- Manage the Spice Bridge facility, equipment, utility services, and supply inventory. Coordinate with landlord, janitorial service, towel service, equipment repair service, etc. to ensure that regular maintenance and service is performed and to address issues as they arise. Track inventory and order supplies as needed and within budget.
- Build trusting, positive, communicative relationships with Incubator participants and FIN Team Members to support program participant needs, maintain high operating standards, and address areas of concern.
- Meet regularly with Incubator participants to provide guidance and technical assistance on food service/catering operations, such as efficient use of kitchen time, food prep workflow, customer service, etc.
- Support Incubator participants in addressing customer complaints and kitchen conflicts by modeling appropriate behavior and facilitating constructive communication. In partnership with other FIN Team Members, address safety concerns or incidents involving customers/community members.
- Coordinate FIN-brokered catering opportunities, including collecting proposals from Incubator participants, connecting customers to caterers, coaching businesses through the catering fulfillment process, and overseeing the catering calendar and related kitchen rentals.
- Work in collaboration with other FIN Team Members to support special events and activities hosted at Spice Bridge, such as pop-up markets, fundraising events and musical performances.
Who We're Looking For
G2L is dedicated to an equitable hiring process and recognizes the value of all forms of education and experience. As such, we encourage qualified applicants to apply regardless of informal or formal education.
- Minimum 3 years experience managing a commercial kitchen, catering kitchen, or restaurant.
- Ability to work full-time Tuesday through Saturday.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to develop relationships and communicate effectively with people from diverse racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability and passion for on-the-job teaching, training, and sharing your professional knowledge with others. Must be able to hold Incubator participants accountable to program expectations while fostering a supportive environment for learning.
- Strong organizational, time management, and problem solving skills. Ability to rapidly switch gears and reprioritize tasks based on emergent issues.
- Experience with MS Office. Ability to develop proficiency with other software/apps including Food Corridor and Airtable.
- Commitment to participate in and contribute to Global to Local’s internal and external work around diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism.
- Ability to attain Food Protection Manager Certification by March 1, 2023 or as required by Washington State.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $56,000 - $66,000 annually. The schedule for this position is Tuesday through Saturday with a mix of on-site and remote work. Global to Local offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical & Dental insurance with 100% of premium for employees paid by company
- Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, and Employee Assistance Program provided at no cost to the employee
- IRA retirement savings program with $1:$1 company match up to 3% of annual pay with immediate vesting
- 11 paid holidays and 2 paid personal days per year. PTO (combined sick and vacation leave) starting at 20 days per year
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel; and talk and hear. This job is rated for Medium work, requiring the ability to lift or move up to 25 lbs. on occasion. Close visual acuity to perform activities such as reading and viewing a computer terminal are required. This position requires frequent travel within South King County.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
Global to Local requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious exemption. Being “fully vaccinated” means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen.
Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
G2L is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Assistance and/or reasonable accommodations during the application process are available to individuals with disabilities upon request. No applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request. To request assistance or accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-359-0536.